UW-W permanently fills Dean of Students post

6.23 DOS, dean of students
UW-Whitewater’s Hyer Hall holds most administrative posts on campus, where new Dean of Students Artanya Wesley will be working. Photo courtesy of UW-Whitewater.

By Emily Lepkowski

June 23, 2016

While filling the dean of students role at UW-Whitewater, Artanya Wesley looks to take on another: unifier.

On June 13, the UW-W announced Wesley as the permanent Dean of Students, starting for the upcoming 2016-17 academic year.  

“I look forward to playing a central role in defining a strong sense of community that unites students, faculty, and staff across the intersections of race, ethnicity, gender, orientation, class, religion, educational backgrounds, and other rich differences that enhance the higher learning experience,” Wesley said.

Wesley is expected to take her post at UW-W on July 7, 2016.

“Artanya Wesley is a highly student-centered and is an outstanding match for the needs of our campus,” said Assistant vice chancellor for student affairs Brent Bilodeau.

Bilodeau chaired the search committee dedicated to finding a successor to the late dean MaryBeth Mackin, who died in November 2015. Associate Director of University Housing Terry Tumbarello stepped up the following week to lead the Student Affairs office in Mackin’s absence without relinquishing all prior responsibilities.

Wesley is currently serving as a senior academic planner for student affairs at UW System. She gives guidance to 14 other UW System vice chancellors of student affairs, deans of students and Title IX coordinators.

Wesley also has experience in the many facets of a university from campus support services to sexual violence and served as Dean of Students at UW-Platteville, in addition to several roles in student affairs at prior institutions.

“Artanya brings a tremendous breadth of experience to UW-Whitewater,” said Tom Rios, vice chancellor for student affairs.

Wesley will be taking her experience with her as she looks to begin her involvement on campus.

“I am excited to learn the culture of campus and understand what makes Whitewater great as I work to build alliances across constituency groups on and off campus,” Wesley said.