Soccer squad wins eight in a row

Freshman forward Kaci Schonert dribbles upfield in a home game against St. Catherine University on Sept. 25. The Warhawks won 7-1 with Schonert recording two assists in the victory. Photo by Kim Gilliland

Josh Sinclair, Assistant Sports Editor

By: Josh Sinclair

Sept. 28, 2016

Senior forward Brianna Reid tied the UW-Whitewater all-time scoring record with her 55th career goal. Reid’s goal scoring propelled the Warhawks , leading them to their 8th straight victory.

The No. 13 Whitewater women’s soccer team (9-1), captured a 1-0 win over No. 20 Augustana College in Rock Island, Illinois.

“The Augustana match proved to our team that we can win matches vs quality opponents on the road even when the team is not at 100%,” coach Ryan Quamme said. “We battled many issues in the Augustana match including arriving late to the match but committed to defending as a team and sticking to our attacking and defending principles to find a positive result.”

The first half went almost actionless with Augustana’s Jordyn Sundberg firing the only shot on goal, with just moments left in the first half, but freshman goalkeeper Sara Klimisch made the save and the teams entered halftime scoreless.

The scoreless tie was broken when Reid found her fellow senior forward, Carly Pottle, and the two connected for a goal in the 55th minute of play to give the Warhawks a 1-0 lead.

Klimisch made three saves in the match en route to her fourth shutout of the season.

“Sara has been excellent in goal this season and has done well to earn the trust and respect of her teammates,” Quamme said. “The confidence the team and especially the back line has in Sara allows players to remain calm and execute in pressure moments in our defensive third of the field.”

This was the third consecutive win for the Warhawks over a ranked opponent. They topped No. 3 Washington-St. Louis 1-0 last Saturday before defeating No. 17 DePauw 3-1 on Sunday.

“Coming off the back to back games vs ranked opponents last weekend on the road took an emotional, physical and mental toll on our team and I was concerned that could catch up with us on Wed at Augustana,” Quamme said. “Our team accepted the challenge and showed great focus and commitment, especially defensively, to grind out a win at Augustana.”

Three days later, the Warhawks again took to the pitch, this time against St. Catherine University. Six different players scored as the Warhawks cruised past St. Catherine, 7-1, in Whitewater.

Marie Lesperance put the Warhawks on the board first with a goal in the 8th minute, scoring off of a combination of passes from Pottle and sophomore midfielder Mackenzie Serbousek.

Six minutes later Reid scored her seventh goal of the season on a pass from freshman forward Kaci Schonert.

Schonert notched her second assist of the match when she found Pottle two minutes later to give the Warhawks a 3-0 lead going into halftime.

Two and a half minutes into the second half, Schonert provided an assist to Reid’s 55th career goal, tying the school record set by All-American Emily Gerber who played from 2008-2011.

“Brianna is the most determined, committed, hard working captain I have ever had,” sophomore defensive back Payton DeLuga said. “I am so excited for her to have accomplished this. She truly deserves every achievement she has earned.”

The Warhawks went on to add three more goals in the second half. Junior Devon Polk scored an unassisted goal in the 64th minute, freshman Laura Schultz assisted sophomore Anna Tracy’s goal in the 86th minute, and Schultz scored one of her own in the 89th.

Klimisch started in goal, made four saves and gave up no goals in 71 minutes of play to earn the win. Freshman Nina Yonan relieved Klimisch for the final 19 minutes of action.

“All four of the goalkeepers continue to work and push each other extremely hard with the guidance of Coach Tooren and Coach Lieberman this season,” Quamme said.

The Warhawk defense limited the Wildcats to nine shots in the game, 17 fewer than their average.

Next up for the Warhawks is a visit from Loras College at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 28th for the Hawk Cup.