Hoopers prepare for final two home games

Tyler Job, Staff Writer

Feb. 8, 2017

The No. 19 UW-Whitewater women’s basketball team started off the week well with a 76-59 win over UW-Platteville Feb. 1, but suffered a disappointing blowout loss at UW-Stout 70-50.

The Warhawks were sharp on both sides of the ball against the Pioneers to propel the team to its second
consecutive victory. UW-W shot 35.9 percent from the field and 36.8 percent on three-pointers.

UW-W’s swarming full-court press defense led to 26 points in the first quarter, while allowing just 11 points.

While the defense remained consistent throughout the contest, the offense stumbled in the second and third quarters which eventually brought the Pioneers within two at one point.

The ’Hawks got back on track and went on a 16-0 run into the
fourth quarter.

Warhawks head coach Keri
Carollo noted it was defense that got the team rolling again.

“That’s something that we’ve always kind of relied on when teams make runs,” Carollo said. “I just brought them in and said we’ve got to get stops and if we can do that then I knew we would score.”

UW-W led throughout the entire game and eventually went on to win by 17.

Three UW-W players ended the night in double digits. Junior guard Brooke Trewyn had a double-double with 17 points and 11 rebounds, while senior guard Reilly Stewart collected 14 points and junior guard Malia Smith added 13.

“I think when we have the ball in the right people’s hands, it’s always a positive thing,” Carollo said. “I just think we continue to work on that balanced attack where we can attack teams inside and out.”

Stewart noted how important it is to get the team going in order to
play well.

“Honestly, I just try to come out with as much energy as possible,” Stewart said. “At the end, I just try to fly around and I think that’s what gets the girls going.”

Against UW-Stout, the Warhawks were held to just 20.5 percent shooting and never led in the game.

The Blue Devils on the other hand shot a much more consistent 47.2 percent from the field.

It was a close game after the first quarter, but the Blue Devils started lighting it up in the second quarter and outscored the ’Hawks 23-8. The Blue Devils led 35-19 at halftime.

The Warhawks got within eight near the end of the third quarter off a Stewart three-pointer, but UW-S extended its lead to 12 after three and maintained the double-digit lead
after that.

UW-W’s Stewart was the only player to reach double-digit scoring, as she dropped 17 points and six rebounds.

UW-W is now 18-3 overall and 8-2 in WIAC play.

The women’s squad hosts two conference games next week, when the ’Hawks take on UW-Stevens Point Feb. 8 and UW-River Falls Feb. 11.