Volleyball suffers first home loss in two seasons

Evan Halpop

Senior middle hitter Courtney Wagner (11) and sophomore outside hitter Rachel Butterfield (16) team up for a block against Augustana. Wagner led the Warhawks with eight blocks and was one of two Warhawks to make the All-Tournament team. She was joined by junior libero Brittany Robinson

Kolton Hegstrom, Sports Editor

The No. 14 UW-Whitewater volleyball team swept the first two matches of the UW-Whitewater Invite before being swept themselves for their first loss of the season.

The Warhawks (6-1) swept Lewis and Clark and Augustana on Sept. 8. Then the next day, the Warhawks were swept by Luther. The setback to Luther marked the first home loss for the Warhawks in 31 matches.

“We had two really solid matches on Friday where we showcased the things we can do offensively and defensively,” head coach Stacy Boudreau said. “But on Saturday we kind of played the opposite.”

UW-W looked overpowering in their first match against Lewis and Clark. The Pioneers put up a good fight in the first set losing 22-25 before losing the second and the third set by a combined 21 points.

Then in the second match against Augustana, the Warhawks won all three sets by more than five points each.

On Saturday’s contest against Luther College jumped on the Warhawks early. Luther won the first set 25-15. The Warhawks then lost the second and the third set by three points each.

“Our offense was a little bit off, and Luther came in and played a really good match,” Boudreau said.

Senior Courtey Wagner and junior libero Brittany Robinson lead the Warhawks during the invite. Robinson finished the invite with 39 digs, six assists and three service aces, while Wagner led the Warhawks offense with 21 kills to go along with four service aces and a team-high eight blocks. Both Robinson and Wagner made the All-Tournament team along with three Luther players.

The Warhawks will travel to San Antonio, Texas, to partake in the Trinity Fall Classic where the Warhawks will play two nationally ranked teams including No. 3 Southwestern University. The Warhawks first game of the classic will be on Sep. 15 when they take on No. 10 Trinity University.