Women’s soccer coach Quamme earns 100th win Hawks’ victory against the Norse secures historic record

Tyler Job, Staff Writer

The No. 12 UW-Whitewater women’s soccer team’s 4-0 dominant shutout on the road against Luther College could not have come any sweeter for head coach Ryan Quamme, who earned his 100th victory with the Warhawks in the process.

Quamme becomes the second head coach in UW-W women’s soccer history to record more than 100 career wins, joining Greg Henschel, who claimed 126 wins throughout 12 seasons. Quamme, who’s in his 6th season as UW-W head coach, could possibly break Henschel’s record if he remains head coach through next season.

The other big storyline surrounding the game was senior midfielder Marie Lesperance’s return after a two-game suspension.

Against Luther, the Warhawks came out soaring, scoring three times within the first 25 minutes.

Junior forward Karina Rosales got the scoring started in the third minute after a penalty on the Luther College Norse. Rosales proceeded to knock the penalty kick in to put her team up 1-0. It was Rosales’ fourth goal of the season.

UW-W’s second goal came in the 19th minute courtesy of freshman forward Anna Boyd, her fifth scoring play of the year. Rosales was awarded with the assist.

About six minutes later, junior forward Kaci Schonert scored her first goal this season to widen her team’s lead to 3-0.

A goalie change for the Norse in the second half did not seem to change the theme of the contest.

After numerous high and wide kicks from UW-W throughout the half, freshman forward Giana Rogala put the game away in the 83rd minute to seal a commanding victory for the Warhawks.

UW-W finished the game with seven shots on goal and three saves, while the Norse registered just three shots on goal and three saves.

The Warhawks, now 7-1-2, will continue its solid season Sept. 30 in the WIAC opener at UW-Stout. Kickoff is set for 2 p.m.

Check back later on royalpurplenews.com for Quamme’s reaction to his 100th win.