Men and women’s Swimming and Diving Nov. 3rd results

Zack Hastings, Staff Writer

The UW-Whitewater men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams both came out victorious on Nov. 3 in a non-conference showdown at Carroll College in Waukesha, Wisconsin.

The Warhawks’ men division won in dominant fashion, ousting Carroll 170-28, while the women also won handedly with a 126-79 victory.

Four swimmers for the Warhawk men set personal records in route to victory Friday.

Junior Chandler Lewis recorded a time of 55.68 in the 100-yard backstroke, as well as a time of 1:47.51 in the 200-yard freestyle, both good enough for first place finishes. Junior Peter Loftus took home gold in the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 4:58.4, a new personal record for Loftus. He would also finish first in the 200-yard individual medley, clocking in at 2:01.32. The first-place finisher in the 1,000-yard freestyle was Warhawk freshman Zach Noll, finishing with a personal record of 10:18.38.

Other Warhawk men to win events were senior Andrew Langenhahn with a time of 1:01.48 in the 100-yard breaststroke, 100-yard butterfly winner junior Jarrett Malizio with a time of 57.02, 50-yard freestyle winner junior Jonathan Jaworski with a time of 22.41 and 100-yard freestyle medalist senior Steven Missak coming in just under 50 seconds with a time of 49.59.

The 400-yard freestyle relay team of Loftus, Missak, Herlache and Noll also finished first with a time of 3:18.35. The team of Searcy, Langenhahn, Stigler and Noll were victorious in the 200-yard medley relay, with a time of 1:44.75.

Head Coach Joel Rollings was impressed with Noll and Loftus.

“Zach paced his day very well, the 1,000-yard freestyle is a tough event, especially for a freshman and he did a great job,” Rollings said. “Peter is a real competitive guy as well and he pushed hard today. It ended up paying off for him.”

The women also won eight events on Friday night. Junior Erin Hawker took home gold in two events; the 100-yard breaststroke (1:09.88) and the 1,000-yard freestyle (11:09.61). Freshman Olivia Theobald set a personal record in the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 55.48, while also medaling in the 400-yard freestyle relay.

Sophomore Alexis Olson won the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 2:05.84, sophomore Bailey Weston held on for the win in the 500-yard freestyle (5:32.78) and sophomore Shayna Putney medaled in the 200-yard individual medley (2:23.18).

The 400-yard freestyle relay team of Theobald, Carroll, Stuberg and Weston were victorious with a time of 3:49.10, while the 200-yard medley relay team of Matthys, Hawker, Stuberg and Weston also won with a time of 1:55.43.

“We swam really well,” said Rollings. “Our team has been training hard. It’s a young team, so they’re learning how to perform when tired, and they did a real nice job. We challenged them a little bit and put them in a lot of different events. I’m really happy with our leadership and with the contributions of our freshmen.”

Both UW-Whitewater teams open Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference competition next Friday, Nov. 10 against UW-Oshkosh at 5 p.m. in the Williams Center.