Phishing attacks luring UW-W emails

Sutton Rettig, Staff Reporter

Students at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater have been noticing an increase in spam messages infiltrating their email accounts.

Instructional, Communication, Information and Technology (ICIT) Senior Communication Specialist Dane Seckar-Anderson said phishing emails have continued to find their way into our inboxes and added that ICIT has protocols in place for handling them.

“Cyber criminals look to target large groups of people, especially people in environments who may have access to high-risk data such as Social Security Numbers, health records, financial data,” Seckar-Anderson said.

Cyber attacks typically occur in waves:

First, the attacker will attempt to corrupt a website with malicious material in order to lure a user to click on the site.

Once this occurs, the user may become compromised.

The cyber criminal then sends out a mass phishing email posing as the original user. In this case they would be posing as a UW-W student or faculty member.

They have access to the UW-W user’s credentials and can access mailing lists. This is how the phishing attack can spread.

Seckar-Anderson said ICIT has several security measures in place, such as a firewall that blocks approximately 99 percent of all spam before it even reaches students and a Cisco Umbrella service that stops internet users on campus from visiting some websites that are potential targets of viruses or other malicious software before a connection to those sites is even established.  

It is still important for the UW-W community to be vigilant and aware of the risks, he said.

“We always ask students, faculty and staff to be diligent when viewing incoming email,” Seckar-Anderson said. “If there is anything that ever looks suspicious, we want to know about it so we can block any spam from spreading across campus.”

He said ICIT encourages students to forward on any suspicious emails to [email protected] in order for technicians to deal with the issue.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Phishing attacks luring UW-W emails”

1. Nick jhones on August 3rd, 2018 2:21 pm

Phishing is the techniques used by the hacker to hack confidential data. The cyber attacker targeted all the attempt to corrupt a website with the malicious program to lure a user. By contacting Bitdefender Error 1020 you get all the phishing attacks luring and how to avoid them.

2. tony on August 17th, 2018 4:11 pm

Most of the people don’t know properly what is phishing and what is malware. They get confused about this. If anybody wants to know then contact iphone customer support they will tell you briefly about these two things.

3. Icloud customer service on October 25th, 2018 7:09 am

You can call the Icloud support number, participating in problem solving is always ready to quickly run Icloud problems. In general, these services are designed to make you stress-free, interesting to support Icloud email or Icloud technical support. If you still experience the same issues, you can contact the Icloud customer service number for any support. You can either use the Icloud customer service from the website.

4. Mick Milton on October 26th, 2018 5:24 am

Dial the Icloud customer service now get expert guidance from the support team. Our Icloud support team will diagnose online problems and then provide you with a solution. For a difficult problem you will find a potential solution at a cheaper rate. Icloud customer service is also available through the use of online remote help from the technician on the telephone that the information will be on the customer service number. It will be supportive for a decisive situation if access to each service on the Icloud customer service phone number.

Phishing attacks luring UW-W emails