‘Support the Arts’

Main Street Festival celebrates its fifth year in the community

Photo courtesy of Studio 84

Photo courtesy of Studio 84

Photo courtesy of Studio 84

Brenda Echeverria, Arts & Rec Editor

Whitewater’s fifth annual Main Street Festival will return from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 15, featuring multiple events similar to previous years’ including street painting.

“The event will not only support the arts [and] local artists but bring the community together with a great event,” said Deborah Blackwell, executive director and founder of Studio 84. “Streets are closed off with no traffic allowed.”

The festival is a collaborative effort organized by Downtown Whitewater Inc., Whitewater Chamber of Commerce, Studio 84 and Whitewater Arts Alliance.

Some of the activities will include street painting, where visitors pay five dollars to paint a large square on the street. There will be face painting, tie-dyeing t-shirts, costume trying, designing masks and musical instruments to try out for free.

There will also be food, art and craft booths to purchase items.

The mission of the festival is to develop the Arts as vital part of the community.

“Funds raised will help support various scholarships, citywide art improvements and activities, thus further enriching the community via the arts,” Blackwell said.

“I think it’s good to have an event that brings out the community, and it’s kind of fun because it’s really for all ages,” said Marie Koch, executive director of Whitewater Tourism Council.

In past years, Blackwell said students enjoyed having no traffic on Main Street for a day while doing something fun in the community.

Blackwell and Koch each said their favorite activity during the event is street painting.

“I think it’s really neat to see how some people get really creative with the street painting,” Koch said. “It’s such a variety stuff of different things that I really believe people will enjoy it.”

Blackwell also said she loves seeing all the artwork on the streets. She encourages everyone to come and have fun supporting local artists.