Sexual assault reported on campus

Killian Jauch, News Editor

A sexual assault was reported to the Dean of Students office on Monday, Sept. 10. The alleged offender reportedly entered an unlocked dorm room, and the two involved reportedly know one another.

The alleged incident was made known to students in a mass email announcement sent out with compliance of the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act.

“If ever you are unsure, feel unsafe or think something isn’t right, please don’t hesitate to call the university police,” said University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Police Chief Matthew Kiederlen. “We are here to help.”

According to the University’s page on sexual misconduct resources, there are many resources on campus that are available for students to get involved in sexual assault awareness and prevention.

There is the group for Supporting a Violence-free Environment or SaVE, who are committed to raising awareness about sexual and dating violence, harassment and stalking.

Students can also join the Sexual Assault Prevention Advisory Commitee, which is the Chancellor’s committee to provide guidance regarding on-campus sexual assault prevention efforts.

For students who may be victims of sexual assault, there are many support resources available.

The Dean of Students Office handles all reports of sexual assault on campus. Staff members there are able to assist, explain the process and answer any questions.

According to their website, University Health and Counseling Services are open every weekday and can offer medial treatment, emergency contraception, treatment for STI’s and many other medical services. They also, however, are able to provide counseling for anyone who may feel they need it any time.