Women’s soccer remains undefeated at home

Calahan Steed, Staff Reporter

Women’s soccer continued their home-field undefeated streak by downing Luther College 3-1 Sept. 12 at Fiskum Field. The victory brings the Warhawks’ record to 4-2 on the year, while Luther drops to 0-3-3.

The Norse scored the first goal in the 23rd minute off a free kick from Lizzy De Prenger. Luther’s lead would only last three minutes before senior defender Payton Deluga’s header off of a set piece by senior forward Kaci Schonert tied the game. DeLuga’s goal was her first of the year and fifth career score.

The contest would remain tied going into half, where University of Wisconsin-Whitewater head coach Ryan Quamme substituted junior Sara Klimisch for junior Nina Yonan at goalkeeper to play the second half.

Klimisch made a save 24 seconds into the second half and defended all three shots on goal the rest of the way.

Quamme noted he was pleased with Klimisch’s performance after the break.

“I thought Sara did great,” Quamme said. “It was a tough situation to come in…30 seconds in the half she gets a point blank shot and holds it and doesn’t give up a rebound. That was key because we go down there it could’ve been a whole different second half.”

The score would remain tied until freshman midfielder Carli Nehls’ goal assisted by sophomore forward Anna Boyd put the Warhawks ahead in the 54th minute. The young midfielder now has two goals in six games.

Senior defender Alyssa Lennon secured Whitewater’s victory in the 76th minute with a goal that senior midfielder Mackenzie Serbousek assisted. Lennon’s score was just the second of her career.

Serbousek says the Warhawks responded well in the second half to break the tie.

“I think we found the space on the outside well, which we hadn’t been doing as much in the first half,” Serbousek said. “So [in the] second half we were able to find their gaps that they left open and really get in behind them and get opportunities.” 

After participating in the “W Challenge” in St. Louis, Mo. Sept. 15 and 16, the Warhawks will come back home Sept. 19 to take on Knox College (Ill.)

Lennon has a simple goal for the Warhawks to keep moving forward.

“Win and score some goals,” Lennon said.

For more information on the “W Challenge” visit www.uwwsports.com. The Warhawks started tournament play against Depauw University (Ind.) Sept. 15.