’Hawks tennis squad splits weekend series at home

Killian Jauch, News Editor

The women’s tennis team had a strong day Sept. 15 with a double header against University of Wisconsin-La Crosse and Carleton College [Minn.].

In their first meet against UW-L, the doubles team kicked off the day by winning three out of four matches.

Gabi Kitchell and fellow senior Julie Martin won their match 8-2, then the No. 2 team of freshmen Jessica Minkov and Molly Rueth lost a close 7-9 match.

The Warhawks rolled from there, with freshman Olivia Kraft and sophomore Allie Miller picking up a tiebreaker victory at the No. 3 spot, and then another freshmen duo at No. 4 doubles of Bryce and Madalyn Bigelow won their match 8-4.

“I did come out with a dub, but I know we can be more aggressive.” Bryce Bigelow said. “This team is very assertive and I think we just need to play a more assertive game.”

The Warhawks also had a strong showing on the singles side, with No. 1 player Gabi Kitchell winning her match in two sets 6-1, 6-1. No. 2 player, senior Julie Martin, also picked up a win in straight sets, 6-4 , 6-2.

Whitewater took losses in the next two matches with No. 3 and No. 4 players Sabrina Palavra and Elsie Ha both losing in straight sets, 4-6, 4-6 and 3-6, 0-6. Then things picked up for the Warhawks with Madeline Slicker and Jessica Minkov winning the next two games, 6-4, 6-4 and 6-0, 6-2.

Whitewater defeated UW-L 6-3.

“I was able to stay on top of the baseline and hit solid shots.” Kitchell said. “I know my Carleton opponent is a lobber so I’m going to have to be more patient. It looks like some of our singles are up and some of them are down but hopefully we’ll be able to pull out the win.”

The Warhawks then took on Carleton College in their second meet of the day. In doubles play, Kitchell and Martin won their match 9-7, but Kraft and Rueth dropped their second match of the day 8-5. Palavra and Minkov in addition lost a tough match 8-6.

In singles play, Kitchell would be the Warhawks lone victor by winning in straight sets 6-2 and 6-0. Martin lost a hotly contested match in three sets and Palavra lost in straight sets. Ha, Slick and Kraft all lost in straight sets.

Whitewater went down at the hands of Carleton 7-2.

“We knew it was going to be a battle,” assistant head coach Byron Balkin said. “We’re just really looking to compete. I think at the end of the day if we can say that we gave it our hardest and our best, the results will hopefully come.”

The Warhawks will take part in the ITA Midwest Regional Championships at Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter, Minn. starting Sept. 21.

UW-W’s next home game will take place Sept. 26 against UW-Stevens Point.