Students fly back home for the year

Students flock back to campus as part of Move-In Day.

Savannah Hernandez, Assistant News Editor

As another year arrives at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater campus, so do hundreds of freshmen, ready to begin their college experience. Many events take place to welcome new and returning students, but Move-In Day is a collective experience for many.

Move-In Day took place on Sunday, Sept. 1, with students arriving from between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Dozens of volunteers were there to help new and returning students move into their residence halls. Staff, faculty and administrative volunteers were ready to greet students and their family members, point people in the right direction and assist with large furniture.

Many students were excited about moving in, but nervous too.

“I think the hardest thing about moving in is how chaotic it is,” said Madeline Walczak, a freshman from Oconomowoc. “Everyone is in a new place, moving in all at once. We all don’t know how it works and we don’t know anyone, but we are all excited and nervous about this new chapter in our lives.”

Walczak will be majoring in Marketing, and has a love for photography.

“The most comforting aspect about Move-In weekend is that all of us are in the same boat,” she said.

Not only were freshmen there on Move-In Day, but returning sophomores were excited to relive the experience, and offer advice to those doing it for the first time.

“The first week of living on campus is very strange,” said Ashley Harder, a student who moved to UW-W for her first year in 2018. “You are in a new environment surrounded by people you have never seen before.”

Harder had plenty of advice for new students.

“Never leave without an umbrella. You learn quickly when you have to walk across campus and sit in class soaking wet.”

While nerves are to be expected, positive energy is everywhere on campus as the year begins. Move In-Day marks the beginning of Welcome Week, with traditions that will help students feel even more comfortable. After Move-In Day, students will be able to participate in “Warhawk Welcome.”

“New students will run into the stadium through the visitor’s gate and through the human tunnel, into the stands where they’ll form “UW-W” for a photo, then they’ll learn the school song, and see the marching band, and Cheer and Dance Teams perform,” said Marie Hornickel, Assistant Director of First Year Experience.

Students may feel nervous, but Warhawk Welcome events like Move-In Day work to make incoming Warhawks feel comfortable and excited for the year to come.