Climate change film draws crowd

Kaylee Pryble, Arts & Rec Editor

The student organization Peace Education and Activism Through Creative Engagement (PEACE) showed the documentary From Paris to Pittsburgh on Thursday, Oct. 3 in Summer’s Auditorium.

PEACE shows monthly documentaries to help promote social justice issues. This month, their theme is to help the environment and fight climate change.

“We hope students will gain insight into small things they can do or be more knowledgeable on how our government works,” said PEACE president Ben Bernasek. “They can leave the film knowing they can make a change.”

From Paris to Pittsburgh focuses on America’s departure from the Paris Climate Agreement. Individuals, businesses, cities and states have shown their support of the agreement. The film showcased those working to fix the environment, as well as what may happen to the world within the next hundred years if environmental risks such as pollution continue as they have been.

“It was interesting seeing how bad things will get if we don’t work to fix the environment,“ said Olivia Bushman, a student in attendance at the film. “It’s a concern for our generation, if not our kids, if not our grandchildren.”

The film showed model cities who have become or are working towards being one hundred percent committed to green, renewable energy. One city in the film was Adjuntas, Puerto Rico. They were committed to being run completely on renewable energy and became a safe haven after the country was struck by a hurricane.

“It makes you think of the little things,” said student Virginia McMillan. “I want to do what I can to help out.”

In addition to monthly documentaries, PEACE holds volunteer and educational events in conjunction with the issues they support. They will be holding a cookout event on Thursday, Oct. 10 at 6 p.m. in Starin Park to educate on the environmental benefits of following a vegetarian diet.

“I’m very proud of the students involved in PEACE as they attempt to make the world a better place for all of us,” said faculty advisor James Hartwick.

PEACE meets Tuesdays at 6 p.m. in Hyland 1311.