LIFE program helps students with intellectual disabilities succeed in school

LIFE+program+students+attend+class+in+Winther+Hall.+

LIFE program students attend class in Winther Hall.

Dauntae Green, Lifestyle Editor

The UW-W LIFE Program, otherwise known as Learning Is For Everyone, shows students with an intellectual disability how to navigate college through different services and support staff. 

“I can’t think of a better college to do this program with for students to have college experience,” said program director James Collins. “LIFE provides services to students who have been shut out. It helps improve their social skills, gives classroom support to the students and exposes them to the benefits of college. It is a secondary program for students who have an intellectual disability, supporting them through transitioning to college.” 

Students have classes in Winther Hall five days a week. They follow COVID-19 safety policies to ensure the program continues through the pandemic. 

“We are following university policies wearing masks, doing classroom social distancing, going outside to let energy out, do opportunities virtually – just doing what all students do on campus and to make sure everybody is safe,” said program coordinator Ashlea Roselle. 

Students enjoy the program since it gives them opportunities to learn about themselves, campus, social events, activities and independence. 

You will meet a lot of people, help each other out, be in a program and be independent,” said LIFE student Nathan Barnes. “I did some volunteering, went on a ride-alongs with the police, joined clubs and went hiking. I learned new activities and how to become independent.” 

The LIFE Program helps support students with intellectual disabilities so they have a successful college career. For more information about LIFE, visit www.uww.edu/coeps/departments/life-program or contact James Collins at [email protected] and Ashlea Roselle at [email protected].