Library helps learning happen anywhere

Freshman Biology Major Cleopatra Achemsa is utilizing the peaceful library space to write her upcoming English paper.

Jaelyne White, Business and Technology Editor

Now more than ever, the Andersen Library is a resource for the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater campus. It remains open and following COVID-19 guidelines since last spring. The library now encourages campus members to use its many opportunities for learning both inside and for checking out over the coming winter months.
“We arranged the seating and tables to be six feet apart. We also have three-day quarantine carts for the books,” said Director Paul Waelchli. “You can reserve study rooms online, as well as make an appointment with a librarian. Those are more of the remote functions we have available before actually coming to the library. The ‘library anywhere’ concept is the ability to use a 24/7 chat, and to have access to the online resources anywhere.”
Meet with a Librarian is a tech feature on the library’s website that allows patrons to meet with an academic librarian who specializes in their field of work and can help with research for papers, citations, and general questions about the library. The library also has tons of technology available for check out.
“We have cameras, flip cameras, financial calculators, and a digital projector so you can show movies in your room. We also have earbuds, headphones and laptops. When you take communication classes you can use the wireless mics and remotes to give presentations, said academic librarian Martha Stephenson. “We rotate cleaning all surfaces every two hours. We provide students with cleaning supplies in case they’d like to clean their surface.”
Patrons appreciate the cleanliness and large variety of available resources.
“I’ve studied in the study rooms. They’re very clean, and quiet. I’ve also asked questions online and they reach out so fast. I didn’t even know they had cameras, so I will have to go check that out,” said freshman Cleopatra Achemsa.
Information about check outs, online chats with librarians and more are all available at www.uww.edu/library.
“The library is designed to be a resource for students, whether they’re here in the building or they’re reaching out online. We’re going to be there, and we’re open to feedback or suggestions,” Waelchli said.