Demos continues to raise bar for Warhawks

There is a star walking the  campus you may not be aware of. It’s time to take notice.

Sophomore Shelby Demos has been a dominant force for the  women’s track and field team since the day she stepped foot on campus, and she’s only getting started.

Sophomore Shelby Demos has accomplished a lot in not even two full seasons of track and field. An All-American in 2010, Demos has continued to prove her merit this season, already provisionally qualified for indoor nationals in the high jump. Photo by Ryan Kolter

Last season, Demos set the indoor school record for 55-meter high hurdles (8.52) and the high jump (5-8).

She was also an All-American in high jump, marking the first time in team history that a member from the women’s track and field team has placed, indoor or outdoor, in the high jump at a national meet. By the way, she did it all as a freshman.

This season, Demos has continued her winning ways as she has automatically qualified for indoor nationals in the high jump  and owns the top Warhawk time in the high hurdles.

After an illustrious high school career at Janesville Parker, one which saw her break the school high jump record (with a mark of 5-9) and win back to back state championships her junior and senior year, Demos is poised to do great things as a Warhawk.

Head coach Josh Ireland knows the future is bright for his young star and expects Demos to raise the bar throughout her time at UW-Whitewater.

“I think she can accomplish a lot of great things in her career,” Ireland said. “I can’t predict the future, but she’s off to a great start and hopefully she can accomplish some of her individual goals at conference and nationals.”

Demos said living close to home is an ideal situation for her, due to her close relationship with her family.

“I love it because I know my parents will be able to make it to a lot of my meets,” Demos said. “I’m a big daddy’s girl so that was a factor because I’m really close with both of my parents.”

Demos admits it can be difficult staying focused for both events at the same time, but her coach has been impressed by her poise and  results.

“I’ve seen it done throughout my career, but not often,” Ireland said. “She is a special talent.”