Communication master’s degree ranks above the rest

Program+coordinator+Corey+Davis+stands+outside+the+Department+of+Communication+Friday%2C+Feb.+19+in+Heide+Hall.+The+communication+masters+degree+is+now+fully+online+and+already+gaining+national+attention.+

Ky McCombe

Program coordinator Corey Davis stands outside the Department of Communication Friday, Feb. 19 in Heide Hall. The communication master’s degree is now fully online and already gaining national attention.

Hunter Wade, Journalist

The UW-W Communication Department online master’s program was highlighted on the “2021 Educational A-List” for institutions advancing the careers of PR and communication professionals in the U.S. this year. PR News ranked the program among other notable schools like Columbia, John Hopkins and Boston universities. 

The degree was chosen for evolving program offerings to reflect the changing nature of the communication field and ensuring students learn about emerging trends. Professor Corey Davis led the Communication Department in updating the master’s degree to a fully online program this year. It now enables students to advance their knowledge remotely, earning a master’s in eight-week courses. 

“It’s one of the most flexible programs with the ability for students to start anytime, and enables undergraduates dual enrollment,” said Davis. 

The online program has been in the works for the past five years, now offering a range of specializations including health, journalism, social media, organizational, corporate and strategic communication. The program is unique through its ability to stack certificates. 

“Stackable certificates mean that students can focus on the skills they want to highlight for their employers. If the students are interested they can continue earning certificates, and then take the capstone and earn the full master’s degree that way,” said Communication Department Chair Kathy Brady.

Dr. Corey Davis checks on master’s degree courses from his office in Heide Hall Friday, Feb. 19. Professors are available in person, though the degree is offered completely online. (Kylie McCombe)

The master of science degree in communication is a hands-on program that uses work-life scenarios and case studies to make an immediate impact in someone’s career. It’s for those who want to advance their professional communication skills, and is applicable to many different areas. Some fields include new media management, social advocacy, healthcare, public relations, advertising, grass roots organizing, political campaigning or training and development. Graduates with a communication master’s degree make an average of $17,000 dollars more per year, according to a 2019 report by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

For those wanting continued success in their existing jobs or along future career paths, this program will prepare students for what’s next in communication.

For more information about the master of science degree in communication visit https://www.uww.edu/online/masters/communications.