Music Mosaics Spring Finale

UW-Whitewater College of Arts & Communication.

Faculty member Leanne League gracefully plays “Sonata for Violin and Piano” by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart on her violin for the Music Mosaics performance. Tickets for the performance are being sold at tickets.uww.edu, and the pre-recorded video will be available to watch on April 15th at 7:30.

Matt Ellis, Arts and Rec Editor

The UW-W Music Department will host a Spring Finale concert for the year to conclude the Music Mosaics Concert Series. The final concert features four award-winning faculty members playing a variety of instruments to celebrate the power of music. The virtual concert is released April, 15 at 7:30 p.m. 

During the Music Mosaics series performance that will be released on April 15th, Mike Dugan (right), Matthew Onstad (left), and Myung Hee Chung (middle) play “N.O. Rising” by Kim Scharnberg on the trombone, trumpet, and piano. (UW-Whitewater College of Arts & Communication.)

This concert features mostly contemporary works by composers Joseph Turrin, Kim Scharnberg and Missy Mazzoli,” said College of Arts & Communication Director of Marketing and Events Audra Lange. “One classic work “Mozart’s N.O. Rising” by Kim Scharnberg begins with a slow build full of clashing notes and tension. The work was written to reflect the hardship that hurricane Katrina inflicted on the people of New Orleans. It is a testament to their culture, history, legacy and perseverance.” 

Featured instruments include the trumpet, trombone, violin and piano all played by faculty members. Dr. Matthew Onstad will be playing the trumpet, Dr. Mike Dugan on the trombone, Dr. Leanne League plays the violin and lastly, Dr. MyungHee Chung will be playing the piano. Some notable pieces of works included in the performance are, “Fandango,” composed by Joseph Turrin, and “Sonata” composed by Mozart. 

UW-Whitewater music professors Myung Hee Chung (left) and Mike Dugan (right) play their instruments for the faculty/staff performance of Music Mosaics. (UW-Whitewater College of Arts & Communication.)

“Fandango is a six-minute piece for trombone, trumpet and piano that explores the rhythmic, melodic and syncopated elements of the Spanish fandango dance,” said Dungan. 

Mozart’s Sonata is a classical piece performed with Violin and Piano is a fourteen minute piece featuring three differing movements. This 14-minute composition is broken into three movements. The first movement begins the piece with a fast, bright melody at an allegro tempo. The second movement contrasts the first with a much slower andante tempo, and the last movement returns with an extremely fast, intense melody, according to Lange. 

Faculty/staff performing in the Spring Finale are (from left to right) Mike Dugan, Leanne League, Matthew Onstad, and Myung Hee Chung. (UW-Whitewater College of Arts & Communication.)

The tickets are on sale now and can be purchased through the College of Arts and Communication events website. The performance will be shared via a link that viewers may watch continuously through Apr. 28.