New year, new provost

John Chenoweth assumes role of provost as the academic year begins

Ky McCombe

John Chenoweth the new Provost mingles with fellow professors, students, and guests after the Warhawk Welcome, Tuesday, August 24th.

Carina Lopez, Assistant News Editor

The academic year will begin with newly named Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs John Chenoweth. Chenoweth assumed the role on July 1 after the retirement of former Interim Provost Greg Cook. 

I’ve worked with John a good long while, and I know he’ll be a remarkable leader and strong advocate for high-quality education at UW-Whitewater,” said Cook about his colleague. 

Chenoweth has been a faculty member since 2002, starting in UW-Whitewater’s Information Technology and Supply Chain Management Department where eventually assumed the position of department chair in 2006. In 2014 he was appointed dean of the College of Business and Economics and has also served as co-director of the department since 2008.

Before coming to Whitewater, Chenoweth was a professor of computer science at East Tennessee State University where he also completed his doctorate in educational leadership and policy analysis.

As provost, Chenoweth will serve as the chief academic officer. His role is supported by the associate vice chancellor of academic affairs and various colleges, programs and offices as direct reports. He will be responsible for administering all the academic programs in association with the deans and other members of the academic affairs staff.

“In general, I think that the key for the provost is to always stay focused on the mission,” said Chenoweth. “There’s obviously going to be pressing issues and crises that arrive, but if you work your way through those, focused on what is the stated mission of the institution, then I think you usually have pretty good success.”