Warhawks move to new nest

Freshman+William+Gustafson%2C+from+Freeport%2C+Illinois%2C+moved+into+Wells+East+with+the+help+of+his+father+Sunday%2C+August+29th.++Gustafson+plans+on+majoring+in+finance+with+plans+to+participate+in+intramurals.+

Morgan Guenther

Freshman William Gustafson, from Freeport, Illinois, moved into Wells East with the help of his father Sunday, August 29th. Gustafson plans on majoring in finance with plans to participate in intramurals.

Felicity Knabenbauer, Lifestyle Editor

Move-In Day on the UW-Whitewater campus has always been a bustling, fast-paced and slightly chaotic day for many incoming students moving into the dorms. However, due to the 10-day moving extension, the highly anticipated Aug. 29 event turned out to be actually quite calm and peaceful. Families enjoyed clear skies and slight breezes as they unloaded vehicles full of study lamps, mini fridges and other college life essentials. 

The usual long line for a Wellers Hall elevator was instead replaced by just a trickle of latecomers this year, moving boxes along like a small assembly line. This new milder move has caught the attention of parents and students alike, resulting in positive reviews for the increase in number of days and the well-planned schedule for arrivals. 

After they were done unpacking many students went to retrieve their textbooks from the UW-W Bookstore, before being directed to the dining halls where they would end their busy day with a meal and meeting about residence hall rules.

“I’m excited to hang out with my new friends,” said freshman Jaeda Coleman, who plans to major in social work. “I think I’ll go to the glow night party that is being held by the campus too. It sounds fun!” 

Although an extended move-in was intended as a temporary solution to avoid large crowds during the COVID-19 pandemic, it could turn into a permanent feature in years to come. Considering that around 3,767 students moved into the dorms this year, it could be a best-case scenario for all. Of those 3,767 students, about 1,300 had already arrived for early move-in before the traditional big Sunday.

With so many students living on campus this year, UW-W Housing is counting on students to follow mask and testing guidelines so that everyone can stay social even while social distancing, and enjoy residence life. 

Our hope is for our residents to experience more face-to-face interaction in their residence hall communities this year.  We will be offering more in-person programs this year and other community development opportunities,” said UW-W Housing Director Frank Bartlett. “We will celebrate the naming of Ma’iingan Hall on October 13th and the renaming of Starin Hall to Pulliam Hall in the spring.  We look to provide the same high level of academic and personal support to our residents throughout the year and to continue to assist and facilitate student connections with other areas on campus.”

Click here to view Move-In Day Snapshots