Here’s your chance to win $7.65K

Carina Lopez, Assistant News Editor

Without requiring it, UW-Whitewater has highlighted various vaccine incentives to encourage students, faculty and staff to get vaccinated against COVID-19 as part of the Warhawks are Back plan. 

July 24 UW-System also announced the 70 for 70 vaccination incentive. In the incentive, UW-students are eligible to receive a $7,000 scholarship when their campus reaches a 70 percent vaccination rate.

The 70 percent rate must be met by Oct. 15, and then 70 students from those eligible institutions will be randomly selected to win.

The university announced its own giveaway for students. Every week, randomly selected vaccinated students will be given $500. So far the university announced 13 winners from the drawings. 

“Eleven additional winners will be announced next week and more winners in the coming weeks,” said Executive Director of University Marketing and Communications Jeff Angileri.

The state of Wisconsin also placed its own incentives. From Aug. 20 through Sept. 6, a $100 Visa Gift Card was given to Wisconsin residents ages 12 and up who received their first COVID-19 vaccine. 

Walk-in clinics were recently announced on campus as well. Those getting vaccinated at the clinics will be included in a raffle for five UW-Whitewater Dining Services gift packages valued at $50 each, the university announced. 

For the full list of walk-in clinics click here

During the Fall Forum on Aug. 24, Provost John Chenoweth shared the latest numbers of vaccinated individuals on the campus. Those numbers reflect the number of students and employees that have gotten vaccinated and submitted their records to the university. 

“I see a weekly report on this. The data I’m sharing is maybe four or five days old. Roughly, we’re in the ballpark of 70 percent range for our employees right now,” said Chenoweth. “On our student side it’s in the 40 percent ballpark.” 

Most recent data has not been released yet. 

Students, faculty and staff members are in the process of reporting their vaccination status to the universities, and we expect UW System to share this data publicly in mid-September,” said Angileri.

What is available to the public is the number of tests and cases since June of this year. 

As of  June 7, 2021 the university reported 18 positive cases of off-campus students, two positive cases of on-campus students and eight positive cases of employees. 

Continuing the semester, everyone on campus will be required to wear a mask regardless of vaccination status. Those who are not vaccinated must get tested weekly at least through September. 

To receive the awards given from UW-System and UW-Whitewater, individuals must submit their vaccination records to https://my.uww.edu/Vaccination/, take the copy to the COVID-19 office, located in the UW-Whitewater Police Department at Goodhue Hall, fax it to 262-472-5746 or mail it to UW-Whitewater Police Department, 790 W. Starin Rd. Whitewater, Wisconsin, 53190.

Students and employees can get vaccinated on campus at Esker Hall from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday. To schedule an appointment, visit doineedacovid19test.com