Community comes together in the park

The Piper Spring Road Band performed at new Frawley Family Amphitheater at Cravath Lakefront Park in Whitewater from Aug. 17th

Dauntae Green, Managing Editor

There were a series of events provided entertainment over the summer at Cravath Lakefront Amphitheater for all that attended. Soon they will have their last two concerts in the park events while being hosted by the Whitewater Parks and Recreation and sponsored by local businesses in town. The town’s food market will pop up at the events with food trucks, and local businesses from the food market will be selling their merchandise. Also there will be performances from many bands, entertainers,  to help people make new memories, and have a lot of fun. The main purpose of these events are to bring the community together, bring smiles, and keep the tradition of the concerts in the park going even while amidst the pandemic.

“We have been doing concerts in the park for at least 15 years. It’s kind of always fallen under the Parks and Recreation department cause we not only do the sports, but we do after school programs, so we do a lot of special events. This follows under events for the community. It’s free for the community and people enjoy it. The department continues to do it year after year and honestly, because of the support, we were able to put up a new amphitheater this past year.” said, Recreation and Community events programmer, Michelle Djuardin.  

“I think it’s huge because it’s a great place to not only showcase what amazing parks we have, get people out and about, but also provide free entertainment. So that people can come enjoy things, be able to come and go as they please, and be outdoors. And then partnering with the city market has been a huge part of having people being able to do all of these. These local vendors sell the honey, the jellies and all that kind of stuff.  They not only get to enjoy the park’s music, but then also get to support local businesses as well,” said Djuardin.

The Parks and Recreation will make sure that the events will be safe following Covid-19 guidelines with masking, and sanitizing availability. 

“This past year was difficult for the library, the library partnered with the Park and Recreation every Tuesday in the summer. We wanted to do things together within the community, get the chance to see the kids, families, do some crafts, sign up for books, and have fun,” said Irvin L Young Memorial Library Makerspace & Programming Librarian, Torrie Thomas.

These events not only help the community stay connected, but also bring joy, and help put the difficult year behind them. They are hoping to continue Concerts in the Park in the Fall and into the future as well as see students from Whitewater University to attend the events too!

The New Piano Guys dueling pianos