First Fall Undergraduate Research Day a success

Fifty-two students presented undergraduate research they did over the summer at the first Fall Undergraduate Research Day on Sept. 13.

“The Fall Undergraduate Research Day was a success this year with over 50 students presenting research,” interim undergraduate research director Catherine Chen said. “We are looking into having the fall date again in the future.”

Undergraduate research is a collaborative effort between students, faculty and staff. Chen said each undergraduate student is paired with at least one faculty or staff member who acts as a mentor and gives direction and advice to the student.

Traditionally, more of the undergraduate research projects are in the physical science fields, Chen said. Although the number of research projects done through the College of Business and Education are growing. One of the projects presented last week was a study of opera music done in Italy and another was the study of classroom settings conducted in Mexico.

Undergraduate students get funding for their projects from many sources.

“There are programs such as the National Science Foundation and the National Health Institute which provide some of the funding,” Chen said. “Also students can apply for private grants through MERCK, the Smithsonian and the McNair foundation.”

The McNair foundation supports the research of multicultural and first-generation students.

Chen said undergraduate research is beneficial for the students because they can put what they learn into practice.

“Feedback from students who have done undergraduate research shows us they think it is a critical part of their education,” Chen said. “They get to practically apply what they have learned in the classroom and get to contribute to a body of knowledge.”

Chen said it is also beneficial to UW-Whitewater.

“Undergraduate research is a great tool [the university] can use to market and attract students to come here,” Chen said. “UW-Whitewater has something to show off its quality of education.”