The story of a warhawk named Willie

By Francesca Yracheta

According to university archives, Whitewater’s signature purple hawk came to be more than 50 years ago, when UW-Whitewater President Robert C. Williams approved Willie as the official mascot.

As a frequent attendee at football games, fundraisers, parades and local schools, it seems Willie is not only a big hit on campus, but also around town.

Associate Director of Recreation Sports and Facilities Therese Kennedy said the first Willie the Warhawk costume was purchased in conjunction with the grand opening of the Williams Center in 2001. Since then, however, the university bought one more.

Stepping into Willie’s (quite large) shoes takes a lot more than a pair of big feet.

“About three to four students a year wear the Willie suit,” Kennedy said. “His suit is fragile so we try to limit the number of people who wear it each year.”

Willie the Warhawk himself said he enjoyed “Do the Warhawk,” a dance routine Whitewater students created last year to spread campus spirit.

“You need lots of school spirit, athleticism and dance moves,” Kennedy said.

Willie said he loves interacting with campus life.

“I like all the attention the mascot gets,” Willie said. “If you don’t have Willie, you don’t have school spirit.”

One thing Kennedy said she noticed was the enthusiasm kids in the community have for Willie’s stylish wardrobe.

“Kids love Willie and his big tennis-shoes,” Kennedy said.

According to Willie, the only thing mildly unfortunate about his job is “… the costume gets a little hot and I have to be careful in the suit.”

Not to worry, Kennedy said, the suit does get washed and Febreezed after every use.

Students interested in applying for Willie’s position should email Therese Kennedy at [email protected] or call (262) 472-1145. Individuals with work study are encouraged to apply.