Jazzy and jolly

Holiday Jazz Ensembles Concert

Katie McIlheran

Jazz Ensemble 1, directed by Michael Hackett, is seen here performing at the UW-Whitewater Jazz Ensembles Holiday Concert Dec. 9, 2021.

Peyton Rollins, Arts & Recreation Editor

Talented troupes of students performed fun and extremely technical holiday songs at the Holiday Jazz Ensembles Concert Dec. 9 in the Light Recital Hall.
The concert was directed by Rob Hodson, Michael Hackett and Brad Townsend. The concert included 11 different holiday songs with musicians able to show off their skills during improvisations. Songs included classics such as “Christmas Time is Here,” “Let it Snow” and “My Favorite Things.” Senior Monica Burien was able to perform her amazing vocals with Combo 1. The ensembles were dressed in Santa Claus hats to get everyone in the holiday spirit.
“I’m grateful to be singing with this group,” said Burien. “I’m actually more of an instrumentalist, but these past couple years, I’ve been focusing more on singing which I really enjoy.” 

During the show, the audience was engaged with the musicians and it was apparent the jazz ensembles were enjoying themselves and playing music that they love. Saxophonist Brandon Terwilliger definitely impressed many with his musical ability with the group.
“I am excited to perform ‘My Favorite Things’ for our recital,” said Terwilliger. “I think it suits our group very well and it also isn’t too heavy with the chords or even a form, which makes me as a soloist feel freer to try new things. I am sure the rhythm section feels the same way.” 

The jazz ensembles got everyone ready for the holidays with an inspired and impressive performance. Plus they had fun ringing in the festive season. For more information on the music program visit uww.edu/music.

Seen here is the Hackett Combo 1 directed by Michael Hackett at the Jazz Ensembles Holiday Concert on December 9th. (Katie McIlheran)