New year, new UW System president

Lyric Trempe

Tommy Thompson addresses the University of Wisconsin Whitewater community in celebration of reaching a 70% vaccination rate.

Brooklyn Stevenson, Campus News Editor

The University of Wisconsin System has announced the appointment of Jay O. Rothman as new UW System president after a unanimous vote by the Special Regents Committee and approval by the Board of Regents.
Rothman is chairman and CEO of law firm Foley & Lardner in Milwaukee.
“I am humbled by the opportunity to lead the UW System and approach this role with profound respect for the unparalleled role public higher education plays in the lives of our students, alumni, and communities,” Rothman said.“I intend to lead by listening first, so that the experience I have gained over my lifetime in Wisconsin can help us build a great UW System together. This is not an original sentiment, but I want to say it because I believe it: the UW System is our state’s crown jewel, and a vibrant UW System builds a strong Wisconsin.”

Rothman was approved following interviews with university chancellors, shared governance representatives and UW System executive leadership.
“The regents appreciate Jay’s willingness to serve the UW System and the people of Wisconsin,” said Regent President Edmund Manydeeds III. “I am confident that in partnership with our chancellors, faculty, and staff he will strengthen the UW System for the students and people of Wisconsin we serve.”
UW-Whitewater Interim Chancellor Jim Henderson gave an update to the Faculty Senate saying he is grateful that he was able to be a part of the process.
“On behalf of UW – Whitewater, I’d like to offer my heartfelt congratulations to Jay O. Rothman on his appointment as the next president of the University of Wisconsin System,” Henderson said. “During the interview process, I was extremely impressed by Mr. Rothman’s vision for public higher education in our state – one that is grounded in excellence in every aspect of our respective university missions. As a native of Wisconsin with strong ties to the state, he deeply understands the unique nature of the UW System as an academic, economic and cultural driver of Wisconsin and of our future. At a critical time for higher education, Mr. Rothman is the right person with the right leadership skills to move the UW System forward, to strengthen relationships with all of our constituents, and to build upon our important work on behalf of the people of our state. We look forward to him visiting UW-Whitewater in the future and sharing with him the outstanding story of the Warhawk family.”
Rothman has been chairman and CEO of Foley & Lardner since 2011 and a member of the firm’s Management Committee since 2002. He joined Foley in 1986 and has been a partner since 1994. When he assumes his position June 1 he will earn a $550,000 salary.