Record night in double overtime for women’s basketball

Morgan Guenther

Freshman guard number 13 Kacie Carollo looks to make a basket against the University of Wisconsin – Stevens Point during their home game on Jan. 26, 2022.

Parker Olsen, Sports Editor

The No. 9 UW-Whitewater women’s basketball team (17-2, 8-1 WIAC) defeated the UW-Stevens Point (9-7, 2-5 WIAC) 74-69 in double overtime Wednesday night Jan. 26 at Kachel Gymnasium in the Williams Center. The game was highlighted by Johanna Taylor when she broke the program record for career blocked shots. 

The Warhawks found themselves down by eight at halftime but by the time they entered the fourth quarter the team had shortened their deficit to five. After they tied the game and sent it into overtime, Stevens Point and Whitewater each scored just six points in the first overtime forcing a second overtime. The Warhawks were able to pull ahead via a Taylor layup in the final minute, avoiding the upset on their home court.

In the first overtime period Taylor blocked a shot giving her the UW-Whitewater women’s basketball all-time program record for total career blocks with her 175th block of her career. The previous record was held by Vanessa Rieder who played from 1998-2000. The senior center’s success for the night did not stop there, she posted a career high 24 points to go along with her nine rebounds and three steals. 

Despite shooting just 38.3% compared to Stevens Point’s 41.9% the Warhawks 50 points from the paint and a double-double from Kacie Carrolo helped them come out on top. With the win the Warhawks’ lead in the conference standings became two games over No. 16 UW-Eau Claire, who the team split their two games against this season.