Ready to race

10th Annual Discover Whitewater Series

Runners+hit+the+pavement+at+the+start+of+the+10th+Annual+Discover+Whitewater+Series+Sept.+17+and+18.+

Gracia Roley

Runners hit the pavement at the start of the 10th Annual Discover Whitewater Series Sept. 17 and 18.

Gracia Boley, Assist. Community Editor

Whitewater’s 10th Annual Discover Whitewater Series kicked off Saturday Sept. 17 with the W3 Fit Kid Shuffle and then the following day for the 5K and the half marathon. It continued on the 18th with winners announced soon after completion. 

The race shines a light on the City of Whitewater and the community while also encouraging a healthy lifestyle for individuals. 

“It’s really exciting to see how this event brings the community together, showcases Whitewater’s greatest features and welcomes in a lot of new faces to the community,” says race coordinator Elena Rolley. “The route goes through campus, past some of the local parks, and a lot of local businesses are featured along the course. And then this year, we have a new racecourse that features a beautiful scenic bike path.”

Gracia Boley

The sunny Saturday morning was spent with families as the future generation of track stars ran around the Whitewater High School’s track. Children ranging from ages 3-8 enjoyed the fun of physical activity, while also letting some energy out as they ran and participated in obstacles put out for them. There was amazing positive energy, and some families joined their kids during the run creating a wonderful memory. All the kids were greeted at the end of the finish line with cheers, a participation medal, healthy snacks and water. 

The following day hosted the 5K and half marathon run with bright sunny skies and warm temperatures. 

There was a large turnout with participants and their families and supporters. Runners came from all around Wisconsin and even from far places such as San Antonio, Texas and Knoxville, Tennessee. Runners ranged from all ages and reasons for running. 

(Gracia Boley)

UW-Whitewater students Cristian Diaz and Kaitlyn West finished side by side, saying their professor motivated them to join in the run. For some runners, the reason they ran was for the fun of it or to make/break their personal goals. Others ran to show support for a loved one. 

“I run for a personal reason. My husband was diagnosed with cancer on September 18 in 2009 and he passed away in 2013, which is the first year they started this race,” says community member Ruth Peterson. “I’ve participated maybe five out of the ten years that they’ve done it in honor of him.”  

The series teams up with many companies such as State Farm and W3 to promote physical, mental, spiritual and social wellness. The event aims to connect the community and bring attention to healthy eating, physical activity, self purpose and social connection. Premier Bank sponsored the award ceremony and with representatives Krystal Walsh and Larry Kachel presenting awards to the winners. 

(Gracia Boley)

Winners of the 5k Men: Devin Johnson, Mark Elworthy, and Paul Taylor

Winners of the 5k Women: Miranda Slaback, Heidi Mane, and Rachel Fielding

Winners of the Half Marathon Men: Matt Barrett, Martin Erl, and Alexander Cushman

Winners of the Half Marathon Women: Peighton Meske, Jenny Zwagerman, and Lauren Mordini