German Club

New+members+proudly+show+their+membership+certificates+at+the+UW-W+National+German+Honor+Society+initiation+ceremony+April%2C+2+2022.+

New members proudly show their membership certificates at the UW-W National German Honor Society initiation ceremony April, 2 2022.

The National German Honor Society – also known as Delta Phi Alpha – seeks to promote German culture and language to the students at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. One of the society’s main goals is to recognize scholars’ skills in the German language, as well as a strong urge to continue learning.

The organization holds a spring initiation ceremony each academic year to welcome their new members into the society. Due to the requirements of the society, the majority of the students who are inducted are higher in grade levels. That being said, this information should not stop anyone from striving to get into this organization. The experience looks significantly great on future applications, such as resumes and portfolios.

“I was initiated at the University of Cincinnati in 1986,” says the Delta Phi Alpha and German Club advisor Dr. Timothy J. Holian. “People who qualify for admission should feel inclined to join because it represents a significant achievement in the academic life of the student.”

Article six of the organization’s Constitution states that students looking to join must have completed two years of college level German or equivalent, at least sophomore standing with regard to completed credit hours, a minimum GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale or an equivalent in all courses of German or a minimum GPA of 2.7 on a 4.0 scale or its equivalent in all courses taken at the university level, and an indication of continued interest in the German culture by registration in an advanced course.