UW-Green Bay honors Frank Wood with media center dedication

The Frank Wood Media Newsroom was dedicated Monday at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay’s new media center in honor of late publisher Frank Wood, reports The (Green Bay) Press Times.

Frank Wood
Frank Wood

Wood, who was inducted into the Wisconsin Newspaper Hall of Fame in 2002, owned Brown County Publishing, the Green Bay News-Chronicle, and other weekly papers in the area. He also taught at St. Norbert College. His family continues publishing newspapers via Multi Media Channels, which owns The Press Times.

The newsroom is one of many spaces in the new media center, which will be a space for experimentation, where students can learn about and add to the multi-platform nature of media and content production.

The $5.7 million renovation coincides with the rebirth of student-run media at UW-Green Bay — including radio, television and digital journalism platforms. It was made possible through a combination of state funds and donations from local businesses and individuals, including Multi Media Channels and Sinclair Broadcasting, the parent company of WLUK Fox 11.

Frank’s son Chris, who spoke at the event, said his father always held an altruistic vision of the role a newspaper could play in its community if run properly.

“Frank Wood’s legacy was all about providing Green Bay and the surrounding area with a second voice,” he said. “This was his stock-in-trade before he passed on May 27, 2011.”