Swimming and diving teams ready for season

With four straight home meets to start the season, the UW-Whitewater men’s and women’s swim teams are looking for a strong start to their seasons.

Each team finished fourth in the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Championship a year ago with a school high of 441.50 points.

UW-Stevens Point topped the competition with 839 points, followed by UW-La Crosse with 813.50, and UW-Eau Claire with 724. There is obviously room for improvement for the Warhawks, finishing quite a way back but they still aspire to be an elite team in the conference.

The expectations for the swim team are reflected by the hard work invested during the off-season. Most Warhawk swimmers do some sort of training to stay in shape and prepare themselves for the lengthy season.

“During the off-season, I swim at least two hours a day,” sophomore Kendall Thompson said.

In order for the Warhawks to earn respect, they will need every member of their team to contribute.

With increasing interest and participation in UW-Whitewater swimming, there is a higher amount of talent.

Youth appears to be a primary theme heading into the season. A number of incoming freshmen are hoping to make an impact.

The men’s roster has 29 members and  features nine freshmen, while the women’s roster has 39 members and features 19 freshmen.

Thompson said UW-Whitewater might have a bright future ahead if these young swimmers reach their full potential. Thompson is excited about her new teammates as well.

“We’ve got a lot of talented freshmen this year so we’re looking forward to moving up in the conference and improving our standings,” Thompson said. “We have a sense of family and hopefully they can contribute to the team’s success.”

This sense of family is represented by the recent naming of the scoreboard after former swimmer Tyler Slak, who passed away in 2010 following a hard-fought battle with gastric cancer. His remembrance will most likely provide the team with more motivation to succeed.

The season begins at 6 p.m. this  Friday with a home meet against Carroll University.