School board welcomes new members

Josh Stoughton, Community Editor

The Whitewater Unified School District School Board has new members joining its ranks this spring. Larry Katchel became president, Maryann Zimmerman was elected as vice-president, Stephanie Hicks became clerk, Miguel Aranda as treasurer and Jaclyn Tueting as secretary. The board members were excited about the new leadership at the Monday, May 24 meeting, and look forward to working together to improve the district, providing an even better learning environment for their students.

The school board established committees to oversee critical tasks. The Legislative Liaison Committee, with Katchel and Aranda, liaised with lawmakers to advocate for the district’s interests. The Calendar Committee, comprising Kienbaum and Christy Linse, developed the academic calendar. The Employee Compensation Committee, with Katchel, Kienbaum, and Zimmerman, reviewed employee salaries and benefits. The Employee Handbook Committee, comprising Kienbaum and Hicks, reviewed and updated the district’s handbook. Lastly, the Policy Review Committee, with Katchel, Kienbaum, and Hicks, reviewed and updated the district’s policies. 

With the end of the academic year approaching, the school board wanted to give recognition to a few high achieving individuals. The first award was given to Justin Buntrock, a teacher at Whitewater High School. He received Automotive Service Excellence certification for the Whitewater High School Automotive Class.

“First and foremost, I wanted to say how incredibly proud of these kids that I have and through the support that I have gotten from everybody here,” said Buntrock. “Brent and Nathan for allowing me to do what I do with teaching these kids, and specifically towards these certs.”

Every year, the Herb Kohl Educational Foundation gives scholarships worth $10,000 to graduating seniors in Wisconsin, along with teachers and principals. These students demonstrate academic excellence and have displayed a broad range of activity and leadership in their community. This year, Kindyl Kilar, a senior at the Whitewater High School, received the 2023 Herb Kohl Educational Foundation student excellence scholarship.

“Education is the key to the future of Wisconsin and our nation,” former U.S. Sen. Herb Kohl said. “These student, teacher, and principal award recipients have demonstrated incredible hard work, achievements, and service. I congratulate them all and hope this award not only helps them in their individual pursuits but also reminds them to pay it forward in the future.”

Reports were given by the superintendent, presentations by school teachers, and discussions of topics brought forward by community members.