Latino Unidos “A home away from home”

Latinos Unidos (LU) has been described by many members as “a home away from home.” We support all students who choose to attend our meetings by offering a sense of community through bonding at meetings, educational events, and encouraging cultural competency both within our org and those who work with us.  A great opportunity to take advantage of here at Whitewater is that the campus now offers online bilingual classes starting in Spring 2024 for English 102, Comm110, and Core 110.  A way the campus could truly support not only the Latino community but all historically underrepresented communities that attend this university is to bring back our Identity-Based Programming offices to support students on a systemic level.  Student organizations are an excellent resource but they cannot fully replace the institutional work that those offices were doing both on and off campus.  The boards are unique every year so in turn, the goals, perspectives, and values look different year – to – year.  An institution that truly values diversity in all forms will make sure all of its students feel valued and have equitable resources offered to them to ensure their success.