Warhawks fly into the record books

Madisyn Krein
Jonathan Fenton, number 26, junior, taking another penalty kick towards the goal.

High energy and enthusiasm floods the practice soccer field north of Fiskum Field as the UW-Whitewater Men’s Soccer team prepares for their next task. A competitive environment with shots, saves, and slides all around, pushing to maintain their energy and chemistry. Their consistent hard work has contributed to a season defined by stress and success. 

This season, the Warhawks have broken a massive school record: most games without a loss to start a season. 

“The team has a lot of things to be proud of,” head coach Tony Guinn said. “They accomplished a lot this season.”

Guinn and company originally broke the record in 2019 with their impressive 11-game win streak, but four years later, that record has expanded to 15 games, with their current record standing at 11-1-4.

“When our grad assistant, Mariano Carini, told us about the record, I think we had a couple guys tear up,” goalkeeper Duncan Morgan said. “It’s awesome.”

Number 11 Fionnbharr Harnett, junior, kicking the ball up the field towards the
mid-fielders. (Madisyn Krein)

Their 15-game undefeated streak consisted of several impressive wins, including a 7-1 victory over Fontbonne University and a 2-0 victory over No. 23 Gustavus Adolphus College. Over that streak, they scored 32 goals compared to allowing eight, one of the best goal differentials in Division III.

A combination of offensive IQ, defensive aggression, and overall team energy helps maintain a .812 win-loss-tied percentage, Division III’s 26th best.

“From defense all the way up to offense, everyone on the bench, everyone grinding every day in training, it’s a team effort,” forward Cooper Re said.

The team’s success begins with a physically-demanding practice led by Guinn. Lots of fundamental exercises along with strength and conditioning headline each practice for the team, hoping to maintain high energy that will translate to their next matchup.

“Practices are always pretty high energy, and if they’re not, we clearly experience it the next game,” Morgan said. “When you show up and have a hard-working practice, that definitely leads us to success in the games.”

Training chemistry and teamwork is another key component to the success of the team. A combination of on-the-pitch training and mentally connecting with each other is a high priority, especially to Guinn.

“When you walk into our locker room, nobody has their name on their lockers, it just says team,” Guinn said. “It’s not about the individuals, your number, your name. It’s about our team.”

On the pitch, the Warhawks’ team chemistry is fantastic, but debatably, it’s better off the field. Through a welcoming environment, team bonding, and other aspects of communication, the connection between the entire team and coaching staff is ecstatic.

Number 25 Aidan Glancey, Sophomore, dribbling the ball towards the net in hopes of
scoring. (Madisyn Krein)

“You’re playing the sport you love with these guys, they become your best friends,” Re said. “It’s a really awesome friendship that we can have with our team.”

The record of most games without a loss to start a season is not the only record broken this season. Team-wise, they are on track to defeat the opponent’s goals per game record (0.93), with the team currently allowing 0.8 goals per game.

Morgan entered the record books at the beginning of the season by going 649 consecutive minutes without allowing a goal. He shattered the previous record set by Aaron Sesselmann in 2010 of 469 minutes. He is also currently sitting as the record holder for season-best save percentage (87.1%) and runner-up in career-best save percentage (84.8%), a record held by Joe LaMere (85.8%, 1985-88).

“I think having a good defense in front of me definitely helps with that,” Morgan said.

All-in-all, the Whitewater Men’s Soccer team’s record-breaking 2023 season has been impressive, but nothing tops the team’s work ethic, chemistry, and overall teamwork.

“If every student body member could see when these kids put jerseys on– how hard they work to represent their school– I don’t think any member wouldn’t be proud of them,” Guinn said.