Athletic Black Excellence providing an outlet

Athletic Black Excellence hosts an informational night where members played games and got to know each other.
Tamir Thomas

In a predominantly white university, it can be difficult for minorities and students of color to fit in on campus. For student-athletes, finding time for social activities and camaraderie outside of academics and athletics can be challenging. UW-Whitewater’s Athletic Black Excellence organization was created to address these issues. 

In the spring of 2023 members of the Warhawk football team were encouraged by assistant coach Marcus McLin to create the organization. 

“For me, I am really passionate about helping young men and giving them an avenue to be more than just athletes in college,” McLin said. “What inspired me to start an organization here at Wisconsin-Whitewater is the ability to be more than just an athlete or a football player. I am trying to give these guys a different experience, a different viewpoint and a different perspective than just as a football player.”

According to Whitewater running back and Athletic Black Excellence president, Tamir Thomas, the athletes accepted their roles and the organization quickly took off. At the beginning of the 2023-24 academic school year, the organization was officially signed through by the University. 

“Athletic Black Excellence is centered toward students of color on campus having a tough time, and allowing them to reach out and feel like they have a voice on campus,” Thomas said. “As an athlete, you are tied down with time and commitment, so this program reaches out and understands what the black athlete on campus goes through.”

Athletic Black Excellence gathers as an organization for the first time in Perkins stadium. (Tamir Thomas)

Thomas and senior defensive lineman Roy Panthier were elected as the president and vice president of the organization by the other members. McLin explained that this is due to the respect that they have earned from their peers.

“Tamir, as far as the president role is very smart, he is a very intelligent kid,” McLin said. “Roy, being a senior and a grad student, has been around campus, and he always wants to be involved in something. He is not scared to call out his peers and expect the best from them, so that is a good combo as president and vice president.”

At this point, most of the organization’s members are athletes on the Warhawk football team, but the executive board is attempting to gain more members by reaching out to different athletic programs affiliated with the university. In addition to football, Thomas participates on the Track and Field team and has recruited fellow members to join the organization. Thomas explained that it is essential for members of different sports to join the program to support the cause and give the organization a more prominent voice and outlet than before. 

According to Panthier the organization has run into a few obstacles and he has found it important to clear the air about what the program truly is about.

“Our name being Athletic Black Excellence may steer some people away because they might not feel comfortable approaching that sort of thing,” Panthier said. “We want everyone of all colors and races to feel comfortable to attend our events and meetings. We don’t want anyone to hesitate to come because they feel out of place or are worried about offending anyone.” 

While the program’s true purpose is centered on giving a voice to student-athletes of color on campus, Panthier said the organization is meant to bring everyone on campus together to build a diverse and inclusive environment.

So far the organization has been successful and has continued to gain traction through its efforts to bring the Whitewater athletics community together and create a stronger voice for minority athletes on campus. Thomas explained that the organization is planning several events for the spring semester following the end of the football season. The members of Athletic Black Excellence want to impact the Whitewater community positively, but they don’t want the program’s influence to stop there.

“Our vision is to have this type of organization go across other campuses in Wisconsin,” Thomas said. “Most of the schools in the state are predominantly white so if we can get this organization to hop to different schools it can bring all of the schools and all of the minorities throughout all of the campuses to work on something much larger.”