Pride Rally brings inclusion and celebration

It was an extravaganza for the third annual Whitewater Pride Rally held on Oct. 21 at Cravath Lakefront Park. The LGBTQ+ community, allies, and community members gathered to celebrate diversity, inclusion, and pride. 

This year’s event featured many festivities including four food trucks, 30+ vendors such as BaristaCats Café and Winther Counseling Services, live entertainment, the Warhawk Marching Band, a DJ, a doggie costume contest, face painting, color-your-own t-shirts, an open mic, a children’s reading/activity area, and community speakers.

“The third annual Whitewater Pride Rally is extra special this year because of the incredible community members who came together all year long to form the non-profit organization, Whitewater Pride,” said Camden Harlan, an organizer for Whitewater Pride. “Our vision is to ‘create an open, affirmative, and accepting environment for all people, with a focus on celebrating our LGBTQ+ community.’ Through collaboration and outreach, Whitewater Pride has grown this annual rally into a spectacular, joyous, and powerful experience for the whole family. With the current state of the movement, this uplifting event is even more meaningful right now than ever before. Therefore, we hope to instill a sense of love and belonging in our incredible community.”

Inclusivity is important for not only the campus of UW-W, but for the community members of Whitewater; and to increase this, the pride rally is a popular event for the community. 

Proceeds from the rally are used to keep the event free to all and are used to support UW-Whitewater’s PB Poorman Pride Center and Whitewater High School’s Gay Straight Alliance program. 

“One student, who is the vice president of IMPACT at UW-W, sells crafts at the rally and features the student organization Craft Club. The rally is an important space to give a space for LGBTQ+ vendors, too,” said Dr. Quincy Meyers, coordinator for the Pride Center. “The PB Poorman Pride Center has a table at the rally and offers collaboration and support when planning the rally. We also get support from Whitewater Pride for the Pride Center and its resources such as providing basic needs, Warhawk Pantry, Clothes Closet, and our Peer Education Program for faculty, dorms, and student organizations to have learning workshops,” said Meyers, and even though this isn’t open to all community members, the students on campus are good about giving back to their community, as it is their home for roughly four years. 

Students combined with their counterparts and children, to keep the celebration alive in this town. 

The Whitewater Pride Rally is held annually and includes fun for the whole family, so bring your four-legged loved ones and your kiddos! Keep up to date with upcoming events from Whitewater Pride the Whitewater Pride website