LGBTQ+ students are the true champions

When I began my academic journey at UW-Whitewater in the Fall of 2019, I committed to providing quality education to every student who entered my classroom, living out and proud as a queer person, and always advocating for my community. And although this work is not easy, I strive to live a life of gratitude and look for the signs that are all around us.

In June of this past year, I received an email informing me that I had been selected as one of the recipients of 2023 Dr. P. B. Poorman Award for Outstanding Achievement on Behalf of LGBTQ+ People. As I read and reread the email, my eyes began to fill with tears. Was this really happening? Was this small-town, first generation, Wisconsin farm girl earning such an important award? Yes, and yes! Today, as I reflect on the work that brought me here, my mind is filled with the faces of countless LGBTQ+ students who have crossed my path, sharing their stories and enriching my life. They are the true champions here! As Harvey Milk once said, “It’s not my victory – it’s yours and yours and yours!”