Warhawks surge in second half for win

Elijah Bartels
Miles Barnstable knocks down a three in the first half against UW-Stevens Point.

Entering Wednesday’s game the UW-Whitewater Men’s Basketball team was coming off a stretch of games where they looked like the team that started the season. Their last win came Feb. 3 at home against UW-Stout 79-46. The Warhawks entered the game unranked but did receive votes in the most recent poll by D3hoops.

The Warhawks would win 81-55 with an inspiring second-half performance from the team to move their record to 17-5 with the WIAC tournament on the horizon.

The Warhawks would get off to a hot start though, jumping out to an early lead of 10 within the first five minutes led by a pair of 3-pointers by Trevon Chislom, who shot 4-5 from three and ended his night with 25 points.

“I feel like my teammates were finding me when I was open and I wasn’t shying away from my shot,” Chilsom said.

The Warhawks would continue to battle throughout the first half ultimately pulling out a 10-point lead with a score of 38-28 going into the break.

“This group has become very good at becoming aware of what needs to be adjusted and we have been able to come out strong from the half and timeouts,” head coach Jarod Wichser said on his halftime approach.

Isaac Verges advances the ball up the court against UW-Stevens Point.

This approach seems to have paid off as the Warhawks opened up the second half with a 19-2 run. The defense didn’t allow a single field goal from the Pointers for the first six minutes of the half, with UWSP only picking up four points from the free-throw line in that stretch.

Beyond Chislom’s stellar display, the Warhawks had contributions from a whole host of players. Notable players were Jameer Barker with 12 points, Delvin Barnstable with 13 points, Miles Barnstable and Isaac Verges.

With the end of the season looming the Warhawks will look to end the season strong with their final two games before the WIAC tournament.

“All year we have talked about the process we have brought so many guys back from last year. The key was to not worry about the postseason or getting back to the Final Four. We just have to get better as a basketball team and get more connected as a team. Those are the things we have focused on with the talent we have if we take care of the little things we will get the wins that we need,” Wichser said about moving forward into postseason play.

The Warhawks were also in action on Saturday, Feb. 10, with a loss to UW-La Crosse. With only two regular season games remaining, Feb. 14 at UW-Platteville and Feb. 17 at home against UW-River Falls, there is a sense of confidence in this team and its ability to make a run late into the postseason.

Sophomore, Miles Barnstable slams the ball down in the first half (Elijah Bartels)