Student government prepares for upcoming elections

Ky McCombe
Speaker of the Senate Jack Fadness talks to the room at the second Whitewater Student Government meeting of the semester Monday evening February 5, 2024.

The Whitewater Student Government (WSG) prepared for their upcoming presidential elections as well as discussed safety updates on Starin Road and an update on the neo-Nazi demonstration during their Feb. 5 meeting.

A motion was passed to establish a short-term solution to safety on Starin Road. Since the first week of classes, WSG received reports of student concern about the lack of Campus Safety Officers directing the flow of traffic and students. The concern was brought to the attention of Chancellor King and the Chancellor’s Cabinet where a short-term solution will be implemented.

“To follow-up on our prior meeting discussing the incident that did happen on our campus, we have been seeing what we could do on our end before passing initiative to the task force,” said President Angelina Izzo. “That was really productive and we are moving in the right direction.”

These task forces coincide with the recently formed Public Safety Taskforce and Chancellor’s Student Advisory Council following Chancellor King and Police Chief Kiederlen’s town hall meeting on Jan. 30. 

“I feel the biggest thing that you want to make sure to do is listen and are actively listening,” said off-campus Senator Maddy Rosquis.

Presidential and vice presidential elections are set to run on April 16 and 17. Other official positions will be running throughout the rest of February and March. 

For more information, visit WSG’s website. They meet every Monday at 7 p.m. in the University Center.