Sophomore gymnast continues building

Sophomore All- Around Carleigh Moore
Sophomore All- Around Carleigh Moore

Carleigh Moore is only in her second year with the UW-Whitewater Gymnastics team, but seems to be in a groove with her teammates. She has been striving to be a leader for the freshmen on the team, and has been performing steadily. Moore also had a great score on her vault at the Alumni Event with a 9.725, getting first place with teammate Chloe Hammond. Going through club gymnastics is what taught her technique, but also the lessons she brought with her to Whitewater.

Q: What was last year like for you?

A: As a freshman I had a great year. So I was super excited to come into sophomore year knowing what was in store. Even this year, I know we have a super strong team so I had a feeling this season was gonna be a good one.

Q: How do you feel that you exemplify leadership with the other girls on the team? 

A: Growing up as a club gymnast, it’s all individual there, like team doesn’t really matter so I knew coming into like college gymnastics I was gonna have to make a change. So I think last year definitely started out as individual in my mind but then when season started up I really got to realize how the team aspect comes into play and how when you mess up, the whole team messes up. When one’s up, we’re all up. Being a sophomore this year, I’ve really tried to express that to the freshmen a lot and helping them realize what you do matters to all of us and it’s not just affecting you.

Q: How have you felt so far throughout this season? 

A: I think so far through the season, we’ve had a pretty good season. I’m pretty happy about it. I think we’ve definitely had some ups and downs but that comes along with every sports team. One thing that has really stuck out to me and was being able to set the division three record. I think having that so early on in our season sets a good pace for us and helps remind us that we are a good team and we’re fully capable of anything. I feel like we still have a lot more in store. 

Q: What would you say is something that really inspires you to keep pushing through hard moments? 

A: I think especially this year, one thing that really has been motivating me is qualifying for Nationals as a team since we weren’t able to do that last year. I think that plays a big role and what I want to accomplish this year and for the team and myself. But then I also think that on top of that, since it is like a team sport, what motivates me is doing it for all my teammates around me who are not only my teammates, but also like my sisters. Also just knowing this has been my dream since I was a little girl, and that has always been something I wanted. So that plays a big part in the fight that I have. 

Q: What are you and the team doing towards looking at the WIAC?

A: I know our team mentality is just to fight. I feel like we like to tell ourselves we’re the underdogs just because of our last season. So a lot of the time we’re like we don’t have anything to prove to anyone else, we just have to prove it to ourselves. We definitely know what we’re capable of. 

The team has just one meet before the WIAC Championships, which will be played in Minnesota because of three Minnesota teams participating in the WIAC for gymnastics. The last regular season meet takes place at home March 3 and is senior night.

Sophomore All- Around Carleigh Moore
View Comments (1)
About the Contributor
Kaitlin Geisler
Kaitlin Geisler, Women's Sports Editor

• L

Larry DickMar 1, 2024 at 7:56 pm

So proud of what you have accomplished this year keep up the great season!Love you Gramps

Reply