Warhawk magic at Lambeau

Liam Delmore
The Marching Band gives a standing ovation after viewing the film in Summer’s Auditorium displaying the the Marching Band at Lambeau field, Thursday evening, April 18, 2024.

Many will argue that a photo or video will almost always fall short of the magic that is within that one grand moment. That moment when one has the opportunity to display all their hard work, talent, and love for their art. However, if someone were to ask a member of the Warhawk Marching Band what they thought of UW-Whitewater alumnus and former marching band member Kyle Winter’s film “Warhawk Marching Band performs at Lambeau,” which premiered Thursday, April 18, the odds are that they would hear of Kyle’s remarkable skill for capturing the magic at Lambeau Field on November 19, 2023. 

One such member who sang Winter’s praise was snare drum player Cyril Yelk, who, when asked if he believed the film caught the magic of the moment, stated, “Obviously I’m one person I can’t be in like every single space all at once but seeing the different angles of the day through the filmmaker was really awesome because I got to see people I knew and witness moments that I didn’t witness while I was there and it just put it into perspective all of the different stuff that was happening that day.”

Yelk went on to explain how the atmosphere of the entire event at Lambeau was electrifying and noted how many of the Packer fans, whom he admitted he was unsure of whether or not they were sober, showed much appreciation for the marching band’s performance. 

Dr. Glenn C. Hayes, director of bands and chair of the Department of Music, expressed similar admiration and astonishment for the film.

“When I spoke to the group, I had no idea that you could capture that feeling on video and it was just like we were back there, just like we were on the field,” Hayes said. 

He noted how the film remarkably portrayed the energy, excitement, nervousness, and anticipation that was felt by many on that day, as well as “the exhilaration afterward of knowing what they had done and the ovation and cheers.” 

When asked how it felt to present the film and see everyone’s reaction, Winter stated, “Huge payoff is not a big enough word… it feels so good to have the people here tonight to see it and to hear the reactions… it feels like a dream.”

He noted that, as the videographer on campus, he often creates two to three minute videos. However, he was given the opportunity to extend it as far as he needed and, in his words, “whatever tells a story.”

“I wanted to build that anticipation of being in that back area outside the tunnel and seeing just a little glimpse of the big crowd on the other side just waiting for them,” Winter added.

He went on to explain how he wanted to make something that would make his 15-year-old self want to join the Warhawk Marching band after watching the film, making note of how much he always loved the art of film and the warmth within the marching band community.