Warhawks fly the coop

Spring 2024 Commencement
(UW-Whitewater photo/Craig Schreiner)
Natalie Van Acker of East Troy, Wisconsin, a criminology major, waves to the crowd as students thank their families and friends for supporting their high education journeys. UW-Whitewater celebrated the achievements of 620 graduates at the commencement ceremony held at Kachel Fieldhouse on Dec. 16, 2023.

As the 2023-2024 academic year drew to a close, students, faculty, staff, families and the entire Whitewater community showed out for the annual spring graduation ceremony. 

UW-Whitewater Commencement held two May 11 ceremonies in the Kachel Fieldhouse at 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.

The morning ceremony honored undergraduate and graduate students who were part of the College of Arts and Communication and the College of Business and Economics. Doors opened at 8:30 a.m. and closed at 9:45 a.m. for the honored processional march.

The afternoon ceremony honored undergraduate and graduate students from the College of Education and Professional Studies, College of Letters and Sciences and College of Integrated studies. Doors will opened at 1:30 p.m. and closed for the processional at 2:45 p.m.

Each graduate received seven wristbands that served as entry tickets with seating based on a “first-come, first-served basis,” which packed the house for this time-honored event. Commencement was available to be viewed remotely, and overflow attendees watched live in the Timmerman Auditorium. 

Speakers for the morning ceremony were Scott Wrobbel and Dylan Riley. Riley graduated in three years with a BBA in finance and a minor in political science, whereas Wrobbel graduated from UW-Whitewater in 1980 with a BBA in accounting.

The afternoon speakers were Crystal McClain, a 2003 graduate with a B.A. in social work, and Ty Jahnke, who earned his B.S. in human performance in spring 2023 and is currently earning a Master of Science in Applied Kinesiology.

Commencement for UW-Whitewater at Rock County campus took place Tuesday, May 14, in the Wells Cultural Center at 6:30 p.m. 

More information can be found on the university commencement page, or via the official commencement program

Congratulations Class of 2024! 

View Comments (1)
About the Contributor
Katie Popp
Katie Popp, Campus News Editor

• J

Jim SlabyMay 7, 2024 at 5:17 pm

It’s too bad that graduation cannot be held outside like it was on a hot humid day in 1981.

Reply