Two students overcome stage fright to perform their senior recitals

Standing in front of an audience is never easy, but for senior clarinetists Brittany Nimmer and Emily Baumgart, it is something they must get used to doing.

Both Nimmer and Baumgart will be performing for family, fellow students and professors during their solo student recitals this week.

“I’ve been nervous leading up to this performance,” Nimmer said. “But now that it is getting closer to the date, I am getting more excited.”

Brittany Nimmer

Nimmer, who is from Waterford, was told she would make a good clarinetist when she was in fifth grade and has been playing ever since. Nimmer also plays saxophone, some guitar and is learning to play the accordion.

After graduation, Nimmer said she hopes to become a music teacher at either the elementary or middle school level. She also plans to keep performing as well.

Nimmer will be performing four pieces of music during her recital, including a jazz piece that she has worked on diligently with accompaniment from a pianist and drummer.

“I have grown the most on the jazz piece,” Nimmer said. “It requires me to play a lot of high notes and bend different pitches.”

Other pieces in Nimmer’s recital include a clarinet sonata in E flat major, a contemporary piece, and another with many “twists” throughout it.

“There is no set theme for my performance,” Nimmer said. “All the pieces are completely different from each other, which will showcase how versatile I can be with the clarinet.”

Nimmer also tutors students on their aural skills and is a member of a music fraternity on campus called Delta Omicron.

Baumgart, who is from Milwaukee, plans to go to graduate school after graduation this spring to become a music theory professor at a college level.

“One of the biggest obstacles for me is overcoming the fear of performing in front of other people,” Baumgart said. “But I have been preparing for this recital for a year and I am excited to perform.”

Emily Baumgart

Baumgart said she started playing clarinet in fifth grade after she saw a clarinetist play the “Scooby-Doo” theme song.

In addition to the clarinet, Baumgart has taught herself how to play piano and plays a bit of saxophone as well.

Baumgart’s performance will include repertoire by Igor Stravinsky, Robert Muczynsk, and Anthony Iannaccone. Baumgart will also be accompanied by Josh Wand on piano and Jennalee Brummel on flute.

Both Nimmer and Baumgart are happy to showcase their talents for people who understand and care for music as much as they do.

“I love being around people who don’t look at me like I’m crazy when I talk about how much I love music,” Baumgart said. “The music department is a pretty tight -knit community.”

Baumgart will display her work on Nov. 21 and Nimmer will show hers on Nov. 22. Both recitals are at 7:30 p.m. in the Center of the Art’s Light Recital Hall. Both concerts are free to attend.