Whitewater faculty and staff honorees display creative achievements at new gallery

UW-Whitewater faculty and staff will be given an opportunity to reveal scholarly research and other creative achievements at the Center of Arts Crossman Gallery Nov. 22 and 23 during the 24th annual Scholarship and Creative Achievement Exhibition.

Dr. Glenn Hayes is currently celebrating his 25th year teaching at Whitewater. Hayes is the director of the marching band and the symphonic wind ensemble. Photo by Andrew Smith.

“This is an opportunity for members of the faculty and staff across campus in all disciplines to display and show their scholarly and creative work over the past year,” Crossman Gallery Director Michael Flanagan said.

A total of 67 faculty and staff honorees are up for recognition this year. They come from all four colleges, 19 different departments, one dean, Multicultural Affairs & Student Success and the Andersen Library.

“Material must be a peer reviewed piece of something, whether it is art work or written material” Flanagan said.

Content includes artwork and art exhibitions, scholarly articles, conference presentations, a dance DVD, an edition of music for flute, book reviews, book chapters, novels, poetry and grants.

The exhibit will display accomplishments achieved by staff between July 1, 2010, and June 30, 2011. These accomplishments are required to have a peer review within the cycle year.

“There is a lot of research that goes on on-campus that is not well recognized outside the person’s home department,” Flanagan said. “So if someone in the sciences has an article published in a scientific journal we normally don’t here about it until this event.”

The exhibition will begin with a reception from 3-4:30 p.m. on Nov. 22 to recognize the works that will be on display.

The exhibit will be open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and 6-8 p.m. on Tuesday. The gallery is free to everyone.

“It’s so people can appreciate what’s going on by their colleagues across campus,” committee member Barbara Bren said. “They don’t always know, so it may encourage some interdisciplinary work.”