Communication class raises money for students in need with ‘Cents for Students’

A UW-Whitewater Communication class group’s project is raising money for students in need of financial assistance.

Small Group Communications, taught by instructor Bill Lowell, teaches students to research, plan and conduct a real-life advertising campaign. One group in that class decided to take their campaign a step further.

UW-Whitewater students Amber Cmelak, Bianca Hey, Bree Moravec, Derek Schultz, and Phil Watson have formed a new program titled Cents for Students that raises money from UW-Whitewater students for a fund that helps other students who have significant financial need.

The fund started this semester as an initiative by faculty and staff members who approached the UW-Whitewater Foundation to raise money for students facing significant financial need.

Cmelak said she and her fellow group members approached the foundation to allow students to donate money as well.

“We wanted to open this [program] up to students as a way to show support for our fellow students,” Cmelak said. “We have faith that our fellow students want to be a part of this movement.”

UW-Whitewater Vice Chancellor for University Advancement Jonathan Enslin said it is great Cmelak and her group members are looking to involve students in this program.

“I think it’s wonderful that students came up with the idea to help fellow students who are facing financial need,” Enslin said. “I never thought about approaching other students for help.”

Cmelak said the group started the semester with nothing, but raising any amount of money for the project will be greatly beneficial.

“We started this brand new, we named the cause, starting just from the bare minimum,” Cmelak said. “And it’s something we can all identify with. It’s a way to give back what you are getting out of [the university]. It’s a way to support your fellow students, and it’s a way for the faculty and staff to show their compassion for the campus.”

The group has set a $300 goal by December 31. The UW-Whitewater Foundation has agreed to match any money raised by Cents for Students.  For more information on the program, visit the group’s Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/CentsforStudents.