Demolition clearing the way for new construction on campus

Though no work has been done to the exterior of Carlson Hall, Dean of the College of Letters and Sciences Mary Pinkerton said progress is being made on the renovation.

A new private student housing complex, "The Element," began making headway when construction crews demolished the church that currently resides where the complex will be built. Photo by Andrew Smith

According to Pinkerton, crews from Dirty Ducts, a Madison company specializing in mold, lead and asbestos abatement, had permission to enter the building before all the bids for the project were in

Pinkerton said she has been through the building with the project manager and interior designer.

“We’re continuing to meet, we’ll probably be meeting every week now once the construction starts and I think at that point there’ll be more updates,” Pinkerton said. “But this was pretty exciting going through and looking at furniture and stuff.”

Pinkerton said the furniture made the renovations feel more like a reality than before.

“I think people are starting to think it’s real when you start thinking about your office and your furniture,” Pinkerton said.

Associate Dean of the College of Letters and Sciences David Travis said in an interview with the Royal Purple earlier this semester the project would take approximately nine months after abatement was completed.

Pinkerton said Hyland Hall took only 18 months to build from the ground up, which makes the Carlson project completion date of August 2012 seem realistic.

“There’s still a lot to do, picking the furniture, artwork…the hope is August 2012 and we’re still on track to do that,” Pinkerton said.