Wrestling team faced tough competition over break

While most UW-Whitewater students are at home relaxing and decompressing, others, like the No. 12 ranked Warhawk wrestling team, was hard at work with two-a-day practices and matches.

“Our training changes, it’s more intense and easier to focus,” head coach Tim Fader said. “Weight becomes easier to maintain. The way we train is significantly different than during the semester. We go two or three-a-days.”

Anderson

The Warhawks started off its winter break competition by finishing sixth at National Duals in Illinois. The ’Hawks went 3-2 beating Concordia, Rhode Island College and No. 24 Mount Union. However, they fell two points short in their final match versus Olivet College, 18-16.

The `Hawks have faced many tough teams this season like UW-Madison and Wartburg, and continue to wrestle top teams. By their second semester of competition, freshmen have had a whole semester to learn and gain experience from their first college meets and understand how things work now.

“Young guys are now are big contributors. Our 141-pounder and 125-pounder have been big. You see progression from a lot of guys in your lineup. You see confidence, goals are being reset. It’s exciting to see as a coach,” Fader said. “There are a number of individuals who have stepped up. Our heavyweight senior Corey Anderson has really stepped up. He has a great style and is learning from our big guy coach Lee Kemp.”

Anderson is the third ranked heavyweight in Division-III with a record of 22-2.

Coming into the Budd Whitehill Duals, Fader knew it was going to be a big tournament. UW-Whitewater was the No. 3 seed and wanted to have a great performance to prepare for conference.

The Warhawks started the tournament by defeating Case Western Reserve University 39-14. The ’Hawks then defeated King’s College, followed by No. 24 Wabash College.

The Warhawks marched on to the championship bout after beating Ohio Northern University in a close match, 18-16. The `Hawks claimed the title by beating Springfield College 27-9. They now have a 14-7 record on the season.

Anderson helped boost his record in Pennsylvania by going 4-0 and dominating his opposition.

Fader said the team has had contributors from every weight class this year, which has helped the Warhawks increase their national rank to No. 12.

The Warhawks host UW-Oshkosh at 7 p.m. Friday. On Saturday they will wrestle in the Rocky Rococo Border Brawl Duals in Whitewater starting at 1 p.m.