LEAP looks to prepare students for future careers

A group is hoping to capitalize on Leap Day by hosting several programs to help students better prepare their knowledge and skills for future careers.

Liberal Education and America’s Promise is a national effort to develop learning and teaching.

Events will be held from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the University Center as part of LEAP day on campus.

Cook

“The world is changing to be more complex and globally connected and we need to be ready for it,” Interim Director of Academic Assessment Greg Cook said.

The Association of American Colleges & Universities launched LEAP in 2005 with a goal to improve a set of essential learning outcomes that students develop throughout the liberal arts education. Wisconsin was the pilot state for testing out the program, and it has since evolved to a nationwide trend.

Wednesday’s events will feature guest speakers from UW-Whitewater, other UW System schools and AACU.

One of the highlights of the events will be guest speaker Tia Brown McNair, who is the senior director for student success in the AACU office of engagement. Associate Dean of the College of Business and Economics Lois Smith said McNair will be speaking about the importance of student involvement and the meaning of LEAP.

Events will also showcase and celebrate student posters and video clips throughout the day.

“Greg [Cook] started LEAP workshops over the past couple of years to get students hands on involvement in the program,” Provost Beverly Kopper said.

A live employee panel web seminar will be broadcasted from Washington, D.C., to over 80 different colleges in the afternoon.

“The [web seminar] will be discussing what important skills are needed by employers and advice to better prepare students for future careers,” Cook said.

LEAP offers students the opportunity to reflect and think outside the box of what his or her college experience has meant to them.

“An education should be more than a list of courses that you’ve completed,” Smith said. “It should lead you to verifiable skills and knowledge to be used in life. Students should be able to ask themselves ‘what have I gained from this entire experience?’ It allows them the opportunity to be thoughtful of what they are gaining over their college experience.”

Kopper said LEAP represents a model for describing our goals of UW-Whitewater students on campus.

“This really ties together what we are trying to do for students,” Kopper said. “It really is all about preparing students for the 21st century. It fits in with the mission on this campus and the spirit of everybody working together to make a difference for our students.”

LEAP plans to make this an annual event in the years to follow.