Counseling Corner organizes anger workshop

Everyone experiences anger, but not everyone knows how to handle it.

The Counseling Corner is organizing a workshop called “Dealing With Anger” to help bring awareness to this issue.

Kate Dodge Graphic

The event will be an interactive dialogue focusing on teaching students better ways to handle anger emotions.

The workshop is free for anyone to attend and will be held from 6 to 7 p.m. Tuesday in the University Center.

Richard Jazdzewski, executive director of University Health and Counseling Services, said often people try to avoid anger and not acknowledge it.

“The workshop will first describe personal styles of anger, individual traits of warning signs, and how people can appropriately express it,” Jazdzewski said.

Many situational factors can lead to setting off the anger emotion, and academic related stress can play a large role in impacting students.

Senior Jacob Segrin said he experiences anger when he doesn’t achieve a goal like studying really hard for a test.

“That stress of the poor grade can sometimes lead to symptoms of anger,” Segrin said.

Jazdzewski said academic stress is an important reason for many causes for building up anger among students.

“Academically, there is a tendency to have very intense periods of stress like when a student may have more than one exam to take on the same day,” Jazdzewski said “Our threshold of how we deal with stress goes down because we get overwhelmed and we don’t know how to act.”

Jazdzewski said the workshop will help students understand situations like this and figure out ways to be proactive when dealing with them.

Anger can prevent people from living a healthy lifestyle because of both its negative short and long-term effects.

Wellness Coordinator Whitney Henley said being angry at the world is a difficult way to live.

“Anger is extremely stressful and it is difficult for a person to live life to the fullest if they are frequently angry,” Henley said. “There is chronic health conditions associated with frequent and on-going angriness.”

The anger workshop will discuss methods to help students identify traits of anger and reduce the negative effects of it.

“Because anger is associated with these negative outcomes, it is important for all of us to evaluate how often we become angry and how strong of an emotional response we have,” Henley said. “If you think that you experience anger more often than you should, there are many options for reducing your levels of anger.”

Jazdzewski says the goal of the workshop is to help participants better express their anger in a healthier manner.

“It is a simple emotion everyone can feel,” Jazdzewski said  We need to understand what causes us to feel anger and think about ways to handle it proactively rather than inactively.”