Professor to perform ‘variety’ of classical guitar pieces in recital

It’s not often UW-Whitewater hosts a guitar concert, but thanks to Adjunct Instructor George Lindquist, students and staff will have the opportunity to attend a performance put on by a seasoned guitarist.

Classical guitar Professor George Lindquist will perform his annual recital at 7:30 p.m. tonight in the Light Recital Hall. Photo by Amanda Ong.

“You don’t need to be a scholar to enjoy [the music we will play],” Lindquist said. “I’m sure [most people] will like it.”

Lindquist, who began teaching at UW-Whitewater in 1995, has performed a classical guitar concert every year for a long time. He said he looks forward to it each year and encourages everyone to come.

Lindquist, who is a classical guitar instructor, will be performing in a faculty recital at 7:30 p.m. tonight in the Light Recital Hall of the Greenhill Center of the Arts.

He will perform pieces using his 19th century guitar replica, which was made last year, and his 20th century classical guitar.

Lindquist started playing the guitar when he was 12 or 13. Before then he played the ukulele.

“My father played the ukulele and guitar,” Lindquist said. “I had an aunt who played piano and she was really good. She used to play dance music for the family when they visited. [Music] was just always around. I guess that’s why I became interested.”

Lindquist said he played popular music and in rock ‘n’ roll bands for about eight years in many different clubs around northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin.

Lindquist turned to the classical guitar when he was 25 after studying with James Yoghourtjian.

“I’m just fascinated with all the things the guitar can do,” Lindquist said. “I just enjoy playing, and I’ve worked with some really terrific musicians. I enjoy teaching people and I enjoy performing when I can.”

The recital will consist of a variety of classical guitar styles, including some music modeled after European and Latin American dances, and will last about an hour with a 10-minute intermission.

In the second half of the recital, Lindquist will perform flute-guitar duets with flute instructor Dr. Robin Fellows.